Monday, August 18, 2014

Craftholic swiss roll

I've finally succeeded in drawing on the swiss roll!!!

That's after my previous attempts, and also another failed attempt on a Fri morning! Everything was so wrong with the 1st swiss roll - the batter was barely enough to fill the cake tray, the cake was stuck to the parchment paper after bake, the prints got stuck on the paper, the cake felt slightly wet.... etc. You can imagine how demoralised I was! I guessed it wasn't a baking Friday and wanted to give up trying, but I so wanted to present this cake to my dear cousin on her birthday.

Feeling determined, and using the last 4 eggs left in the fridge, I tried another recipe on making patterned swiss roll. This was done in the late Fri afternoon, and I was crossing my fingers! We were supposed to have a birthday dinner in the evening, and I just hoped I can complete everything within that few golden hours!

Lady Luck shone on me again, and viola, I got the Craftholic swiss roll just in time for the lovely birthday girl! I'm so glad that I found Cathy's recipe and it was a swift following it and be able to churn out my 1st ever patterned swiss roll. I would highly recommend using this recipe!




Craftholic swiss roll
(recipe adapted from Cathy's Joy)
Ingredients/ Method

Egg yolk batter
4 egg yolks
15g castor sugar
40g vegetable oil
60g milk
80g plain flour
1 tsp vanilla paste

Picture batter
2 tbsp egg yolk batter
1 tsp plain flour
2 tsp sugar
20g egg white

Egg white batter
4 egg white
50g castor sugar

  1. In a large mixing bowl, whisk egg yolk, sugar, oil, milk and vanilla paste until combined. Sift in flour and mix until smooth and well combined.
  2. Scoop 2 tbsp yolk batter in a bowl and add in 1 tsp flour.
  3. In another bowl, beat egg white and sugar till soft peaks. Add into picture batter and mix till combined.
  4. Tint picture batter to desired colours. Pipe patterns onto lined 11 x 14" baking tray.
  5. Bake in oven at 180 deg C for 1 min.
  6. In another bowl, whisk egg white and sugar till soft peaks. Add into remaining yolk batter and fold gently to obtain smooth batter, or slowly pour yolk batter to meringue and whisk on low speed (KA speed 2).
  7. Pour batter into the tray and bake at 180 deg C for 10 mins (I bake for about 12 mins).


This post is linked to the event Little Thumbs Up (August 2014 Event: Flour) - organised by Bake for Happy Kids and My Little Favourite DIY, and hosted by Diana from Domestic Goddess Wannabe.


6 comments:

Karen Luvswesavory said...

Your cousin must be very delighted to receive this specially baked birthday roll cake ^-^!

quizzine said...

I was so happy that my cousin liked it, and everyone love the cake too!

Rumbling Tummy said...

Great looking swiss roll! Am sure your cousin felt so blessed to receive cake made with love.

DomesticGoddessWannabe said...

Oh wow!!! Well done, Quizzine! This is not easy at all!

quizzine said...

Hi edith,
yeah, my cousin was surprised to see craftholic on the bd cake! Their family is one of my strong supporters for my home-bakes lol!

Hi diana,
Patterned swiss roll was not easy until I found this recipe! Tks!

Zoe said...

Wow! The prints on your swiss roll is so cute :D